The Foundation makes only “qualifying distributions” as defined in the United States Internal Revenue Code. Organizations eligible for grants are charitable organizations exempt under Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3) and governmental entities for public and charitable purposes. Those organizations exempt under Code Section 501(c)(3) should also be exempt under Code Section 509(a)1 or 509(a)2.
The Foundation gives primary consideration to the City of Akron and Summit County, Ohio charitable organizations and/or local chapters of national charities located in the Akron and Summit County, Ohio areas; however, all requests will be reviewed.
The Foundation does NOT generally fund:
- Annual fundraising campaigns, sponsorships or special events
- Faith-based organizations/religious endeavors
- Ongoing requests for general operating support — although some repeat grants are made
- Operating deficits
- Organizations which, in turn, make grants to others
- Private, non-operating foundations
Ready to apply?
If you think your organization meets our eligibility criteria and wish to apply, please review our Grantmaking Process.